The Private School Register determines admission for a private school on a basis of six evaluating criteria. The Private Schools must, among other things, possess a recognized credential guaranteeing the quality of their program. They must also exhibit clearly formulated contractual obligations which are clearly visible in their promotional materials, and possess appropriate insurance policies. The conditions for admission are re-evaluated every four years by the Register.
To be listed in the Swiss Private School Register, a school must meet the following requirements:
- The private school must follow a quality assurance system that is recognized by the Foundation Board.
- The school must have the legally required approval of the canton in which it is located and evidence of this is to be submitted to the Foundation.
- Evidence must be provided of sufficient public liability insurance cover.
- The private school shall submit a current extract from the company activity and debt register as well as the extract from the commercial register (if available).
- The private school shall submit its training contract and advertising documents and shall confirm that its national and international advertising effects and contractual documents unambiguously express whether the training syllabus relates to
- training racognised by the Swiss educational authorities or the educational authorities of another country; or
- examination preparation for an internationally or nationally recognised qualification; or
- a training syllabus with a qualification recognised by national or international associations; or
- training that is not recognised by a country or associations.
- The therms of the training contracts include clearly formulated information about the terms of admission, the syllabus, teaching methods and times, start and length of the training, number of lessons, information about board and lodging if appropriate, the type of recognition of the qualification and the costs (incl. school material and examination fees).
- Additional critera for hotel management schools, MBA colleges and private universities:
- positive report of the department for vocational education of the location canton
- positive report of the migration department of the location canton
- visit of the school by a delegation of the Swiss Private School Register (incurs additional fees as per item 3 of the Regulation on Entry in the Swiss Prvate School Register)
- The Foundation Board can also request a school visit for other private schools if this appears necessary for establishing the credibility and professionalism of the school.